Monday, September 3, 2012

Capturing Happy

WHOA! 118 Page views in one day?  I didn't know this is what the world of blogging would be like. I also didn't think that my first blog would inspire me and get my wheels turning this quickly.  I have been writing for a long time.  I remember sitting in my room, writing poetry about friendships, relationships, and my middle school aged life.  I also remember the first time I wanted to put my poetry in a contest.  I was proud of it.  I asked my English teacher at the time to please read through a few samples and tell me which she thought would be appropriate to enter.  Instead of getting anything positive back, I received my notebook back with red ink smeared all over it.  I received "constructive criticism" saying that my poetry was not written correctly.  I think that was the last time I showed anyone my writing.   In my mind, my poetry was written exactly the way it should have been.  It was mine and they were my thoughts.

Memories, even from a really long time ago still shape human interaction.  In most ways, I would perceive myself as a confident, go-getter.  In some ways, I would perceive myself as an individual who cares too much about my reputation, and who concentrates too much on fear.  Today I have been thinking a lot about happiness and what it means. Even though I am constantly fearful of consequences of actions and perpetually reflecting on my journey towards my dreams, I do things I find important.  I have been watching a lot Ted videos.  If you haven't watched any of these videos, I would recommend it.  Their motto is "ideas worth sharing."  I love that.  That may as well be the motto for blogs.  People are so interconnected and able to learn from one another that in a sense we all have ideas worth sharing.  My revelation today is that we all have preconceived notions of how things should be.  Maybe we should be concentrating in all of the different ways that things could be?  If you look up more ways to achieve happiness (yes, after watching a documentary on happiness, I googled this) you will see that people who have variety in life are often times happier.  I need to work on that.

You see, I am a creature that enjoys ritually doing things the same way.  The husband often thinks that I am just stubborn.  Yes, that is true, but I really enjoy my comfort zone.  I need to work on using different processes.  I eat new foods, I like adventures, but when it comes to cleaning the house- oh baby, that better happen the same way I have done it since the beginning of time.  Although I don't clean as often as I should, when I do, you could lick my floor. 

One of the ideas that was presented in the documentary "Happy," my netflix of choice while husband is still sleeping, was that as we age, our dopamine receptors start to die off.  How scary is that?!  As we age, we may find it harder to channel and feel happiness.  They did notice that people who used their brains and these dopamine receptors more often, didn't lose them as quickly.  I guess the saying, if you don't use it, you will lose it applies to happiness too.  I plan on using my happiness receptors as often as I can.  What about you?

(side note: one of my dogs is currently snoring so loud in the kitchen that I can hear her from the couch.  Happiness?  Ya, that makes me giggle.)

Since I live in the United States and teach world history, this quote caught my eye today...

The constitution only gives people the right to pursue happiness.
It is your job to catch it.
- Ben Franklin
 
I am not really sure how I capture happy on a daily basis, but I want to start paying more attention to that.  Today, I woke up and cuddled my dogs.  It made me happy.  Today, I made blueberry muffins.  They smelled good.   The smell made me smile.  Today, I drank an extra cup of coffee just because I wanted to and because I could.  I liked that.  Today, I let my dogs out and noticed that it was thundering, even though the sun was still out.  I thought that was neat.  Today, it is 1:30 in the afternoon on a holiday and I am still in my pajamas.  It is aaaaammmmaaazzzziiinnnnggg.   The fact of the matter is, however, we all capture happiness differently.  I am sure that a fly on the wall of my life would be wondering when this couch potato is going to get her butt moving.  Well ya know what, Mr. Fly?  It is my holiday, I plan on doing things just how I see fit today.  

Smile- Talk to you soon,

Me 




1 comment:

  1. Carly you write how you see fit. I have been writing for years and when I ask people to read my work I tell them to focus on the content not the structure. I am not an English major by any means and writing is my release from the real world. You go Girl! Can't wait to read more!

    ReplyDelete