Sunday, January 12, 2014

Life's Messages

Happy 2014 Ya'll! 


I am starting this year feeling hopeful yet patient, excited yet withdrawn, and persistent yet relaxed.  The thought of those conflicting feelings may sound chaotic, but from prior experience, I have learned that in order to feel extraordinary emotions, you must also feel the opposite.  The conundrum of emotions and feelings that fill my heart and mind are an indicator that 2014 may provide a year beyond my imagination.  

God provides you with every message you need to guide your life. He does not anticipate me spending my earthly hours only searching for clues and asking for help, but he calls me to trust his plan.  Perhaps you could look at past experiences and agree?  2014 has already begun with a number of moments that I believe will provide me the momentum to withstand all obstacles the year provides and also recognize all of the greatness the next 12 months could present. 

Today alone two sayings have stood out to me. 

"Bloom where you are planted" 

So often we have set or roots so deep in one place that when opportunities arise we are fearful.  We are set to control our environment rather than allow our lives to develop along the paths of something greater.  As I look back, each move that I have made has created one aspect of my personality.  I now have friends, confidants, and role models that live in many states.  I now understand that it is not a state, a city, a town, or a house that builds a home. It is not just blood and genetics that make family.  It is not just elementary, middle, or high school nor college that make friends.  We as individuals make the choices necessary to either flourish or fail.  Each move I have made in life has blessed me beyond belief.  The people I have met have filled my heart with joy and inspiration.  I am better because of my journey.

"God has chosen you to show great love." 

Sermons are often motivational, but this one phrase I heard resounding in my heart and head. I kept thinking to myself, remember this...you gotta write that down!  What a powerful message.  I have always been a spiritual person and I cherish my conversations of prayer that I hold silently each day.  I am not normally the type to be very vocal about my religious beliefs, but I find comfort surrounding myself with others who have also found a "home" in a group of spiritually like-minded people, AKA a church.  Am I sometimes a really crappy christian?  Absolutely.  Do I swear too much?  Yes- the F-word is sometimes a term of immense emotion & not my proudest piece of vocabulary.  Do I judge too quickly?  Of course.  I am human and each day I am attempting to figure out what "normal" is... I've yet to figure it out and maybe that's because I don't fit that mold.  Fortunately, among all of those qualities I have found many that I like.  After 20-some years I have learned to like myself, leave regrets in the past, and propel myself forward even with mistakes.  I listened to this message and I thought, I love love.  I really love love.  Do I show enough love?  I'm not sure.  I hope I tell people that I love them often enough.  I hope that the kids I work with at school and through coaching understand that I truly take interest in them and they hold a piece of my heart.  

This reminder has given me a new challenge.  Focus less on "things" and more on LOVE.  Write notes about what's important.  Hold hands.  Give pats on the back and smiles.  Hold doors.  Call more often.  Send e-mails.  Give compliments.  Focus on the good, or better yet, great in each person I meet.  Pay it forward.  Laugh a lot.  Give lots of hugs.  Kiss my husband longer.  Put down my phone and pick up a conversation.  Ask questions.  Listen & learn from others.  Be a friend to all in need.  Find patience with people I don't understand. Do my best to be better.  

I hope you have seen 2014 off to a great start.  Have you seen any clues or messages that could be used to guide the year? If you have, please share in the comments.  I'd love to read them.  

C. 

No comments:

Post a Comment