Sunday, July 7, 2013

"If you're waiting for a sign...here it is!"

Good afternoon!

I hope you all enjoyed the last post and maybe thought about trying the buffalo chicken mac-n-cheese.  I was totally bummed today to see that, somehow, the hubby was able to heist the last container of leftovers.  I had been impatiently waiting for lunch time, only to be disappointed.  However- the disappointment didn't last long.

Whenever people see my progress pictures or photos of my food, it usually follows with- "I wish I could do that.  I just don't have time..." For those of you who follow my Instagram (MrsGates21) you may have noticed that the last few tag lines have been something like, "Dinner in 15 minutes? Sure thing!"  I wanted to make a point.  NEWFLASH:  Cooking healthy may take a little creativity but it certainly doesn't have to take hours.  I also firmly believe in repurposing left overs. I figured today I would post my lunch masterpiece as an example.  If you are looking for a sign to begin a healthier lifestyle, or maybe just expose you and your family to new, interesting, and healthier foods- here it is!

What you see in that beautiful photo is a artichoke and quinoa salad (leftovers that needed to be used) topped with half of a fresh avocado and 1/4 c. of cottage cheese.  I drizzled some siracha on top.  If you haven't tried siracha yet, but love spicy food- get on it!  It is a red chile based hot sauce and packs a terrific punch.  I also put some mini bell peppers with a tbl of Sabra! Supremely Spicy Hummus on the side.  This plate is full of nutrition and a secret weapon to keep in your back pocket when living a healthy lifestyle.   So you may be wondering what is this secret weapon.  Don't you worry!  I will fill you in.  The secret is too good (for you) to keep.

There is a genus of pepper plants known as capsicum.  If you commonly cook with cayenne pepper, you have been using this already.  If you use bell peppers in your cooking... you have been using this already.  Capsicum peppers help with just about everything as far as healthy living goes.  They are known to be excellent supporters of the digestive system.  Believe it or not, eating more of the capsicum peppers can help heal ulcers from the inside out.  It helps rid the body of toxins.  It helps to correct circulation problems.  It has been known to help with issues with the kidneys, arthritis, thyroid dysfunction, and even respiratory issues.  Beyond all that, it is also a nutrient rich food that packs in tons of Vitamin C and carotenoids.  Carotenoids are known to protect the body from the spread of cancer or other harmful toxins.  The list goes on and on, but you get the point.  The food we eat, has everything to do with how we feel.  It's that simple.



So, do your research and figure out how you can best feed your body.  If that doesn't motivate you, look around yourself and challenge yourself to inspire and feed your friends and family members with the best possible foods for them.  After all, if we can prevent illness through nutrition, why don't we?  If we can eat our vitamins and nutrients, why do we need to rely upon quick fix pharmacy trips.

You are what you eat, my friends- Healthy or unhealthy, we make the choices.

C.



No comments:

Post a Comment