Saturday, June 1, 2013


Happiness is not a destination, but a direction <3 

Good Morning, everyone!

Today is Saturday, but summer is already playing tricks on me.  I can't keep my days straight!  The last four days have been such a blessing.  Tim and I got to spend his weekend (his weekends aren't always on the weekend) together doing a little housework, and a lot of fun stuff too!  


I love the quote that I posted above because it makes sense.  Just like in my classroom, I try and make sense of things.  When I am told to figure something out, but I can't figure out why it is useful, meaningful, or in general how it makes sense to me, I can't stand it!  Two years ago today, I was waking up for the first time in my new home in North Dakota.  My husband got up and went to work and I was left to get used to the walls that I knew we were going to begin our life together.  The feeling was almost surreal.  It felt like I was waking up in someone else's house...only it was filled with boxes of my belongings.  I was homesick, yet excited.  I was sad, yet forward-thinking.  What a conundrum of emotions!  This quote can really define my experience with moving and the past two years in our new home.  We bought our house and many people said, "it is too small" or you are overpaying for that house.  Well, we moved to oil country and we actually got a good deal on our house (not if we were comparing with other state, but comparing only within this outrageous market).  The small house has given the hubby and I ample time to make memories and mistakes.  Lots of walls and lots of rooms cut down on memories, if you aren't careful.  We don't have that problem.  We have one TV.  If we want to watch TV, we watch it together.  I love that.  The mistakes? Well, we live in an old house.  We put our floor in on our own.  We painted on our own.  There were a number of, "I really hope this looks good..." or "I really hope this is right..."  We are figuring it out on our own.

The best part of figuring out it, has been figuring out how to be happy throughout it all.  Sadness has certainly creeped up on me a number of times, but I continue to remind myself that I need to feel those emotions, address them, and move forward.  There is so much to be happy about and very little that should bring me down. Its okay to lose a few battles and cry a few tears.  In the end, you will win the war if you are capable of loving what you have, sharing what is extra, and smiling through the setbacks. 

On Thursday, I donated blood for the first time.  I have always wanted to, but for some reason something always came up.  The first time I attempted was during my freshman year of college.  I had successfully peer pressured my best friend to go with me.  She was not excited at all, but I had coaxed her into doing it saying it was on my bucket list and needed someone to go with me.  Unfortunately she was interviewed first and the IV had been inserted when I came out of my interview only to tell her that the tattoo I had gotten a few months earlier had made me ineligible.  Whoops!  After she got over feeling a little nausea, we were able to laugh about it.  The past few times I have tried at school ended up being on days that I didn't feel well.  Thursday was a success though.  In 8 minutes I was done and bandaged up.  Eight minutes to potentially save a life?  Why don't we all do this as often as we can.  That is something so simple.  I may not have money, but I suppose I have an extra pint of blood every 3 months ;). 

On Friday, Tim and I ran parts of the Torch Run, which kicks of the Special Olympics that started yesterday.  It was a 15 mile run total, but there is a bus that keeps pace and you can hop on and off when you need a break.  It was pouring rain, but I managed to run 6 miles and Tim ran 10.5.  It felt great, cold and rainy all at the same time.  Once again, I may not have money, but I have a few hours that I can run in the pouring rain to increase awareness for the Special Olympics.  

The things that have made me happy in the past two days have both been directly connected to my health.  Once again, my health and fitness goals have been reaffirmed. As I donated blood, the process went quicker and smoother thanks to the oodles of water I drink a day.  When I ran, I could keep up and keep going.  Years ago, even in my peak of collegiate cheerleading, I couldn't run like that.  It's working.  It's working and the feeling of success is so worth it.  

This week is back to hitting the gym pretty hard.  I gashed up my leg pretty bad at softball last week, but that is healing and if I can run 6 miles, I can squat and lift.  I saw another picture that cracked me up...


This is so true!  Add some weight to your work out and you are going to see great results.  Even if they are light weights to start, do it!  

Trying to transition to clean eating, but taking it slow?  Good for you!  Keep it up- it pays off!  Here is a quick and easy tip.  I used to be a strawberry jelly girl.  Now, I know how much refined sugars go into jelly and it kind of creeps me out... okay, it really creeps me out!  My way around that?  On your toast, put a light spread of peanut butter (we go through too much peanut butter to afford the all natural, so we still get the coffee can of Jif- I just use it lightly :).  On top of the spread, place fresh sliced strawberries and drizzle that with honey.  With the fresh fruit and the natural sugars from both the berries and honey, your belly will be happy!  In a whole wheat tortilla, you can also wrap a banana, fresh berries, PB, honey, and a little cinnamon if you are craving something sweet.  SO tasty :) 

So now the meal plan for today... 

This week, I am going to focus on clean healthy eats with good carbs. 

Breakfast today: 
2/3 oats
1/8 cup of frozen, no sugar added mixed berries 
1 tsp honey
1/8 cup of milk 

I always warm up the frozen berries first, then add them to the oats.  Pour the milk over the oats and berries.  Drizzle the honey over top.  There is no need for any refined or artificial sweeteners.  The berries and natural honey add just enough :) 

Lunch: 
Spinach salad with red onions, strawberries, sliced green apple, Gorgonzola cheese, and balsamic vinegarette.  Usually I would put some bacon pieces on it, but today I am going to go without (I don't feel like cooking the bacon :) 

Tonight:  Clean Chicken Kebobs 

I plan on making kebobs from cubed chicken breasts, that I will marinate with some herbs and brush with olive oil.  On the kebobs, I am going to put pieces of asparagus, mushrooms,  zucchini, and bell peppers.  

I am going to serve this with some steamed broccoli and  quinoa, with rotel mixed into it.  If you haven't tried it yet, this is a great side for people like that like a little heat.  The chili's in the mixture give it just the right kick!  

Desert tonight? 

I have so much rhubarb growing like crazy in my backyard!  Yum!

I am going to be making the Strawberry Rhubarb Crisp recipe from www.thegraciouspantry.com  if you are ever in need of clean eating ideas, that is the place to go!  Don't let the organic ingredients scare you, if you don't have something, google for substitutions.  I don't have many of the obscure clean eating ingredients, as many of them get to be expensive.  I work with what I have.  So tonight, the recipe calls for tapioca starch, but you can substitute corn starch.  I have that, so corn starch it is!  


Take a peek at my instagram - Mrsgates21 or Facebook for photos of this dinner :) 

I also have all sorts of clean eating ideas and workout motivation/routines on my pinterest.   Follow me on there! 

Here is a picture of my grocery list this week :) 




Until next time!

C. 

No comments:

Post a Comment